Thursday, June 20, 2019

EMBARKING ON AN ART JOURNEY

There is a belief that artists go into their studio, whip out their paints and brushes, and create a masterpiece. Every day. This is a myth. Artists' skill is developed by practice. Years and years of it. There is discipline involved. Tenacity. Perseverance.  This is not always easy. That is why I read a lot about art and art practice to stay inspired.

Recently it has eventually dawned on me that I will have to paint EVERY DAY, or as close to that as possible, if I want to achieve the goals in art that I want to achieve. I also have to experiment a lot more. So I have embarked on a journey of exploration in art.

My goals:

  • Experiment every day
  • Create a painting every day (or as close to that as I can)
Today my challenge in my art experiment was to use a colour combination that I am not fond of: light blue and brown. I chose Ceruleun Blue and Raw Umber. And, of course, black (Paynes Grey) and white (gesso).

I started by mixing some of the colours to see what new colour combinations result in. I liked the blue/brown/white combination, which yielded a warm grey. So I started with a circular application of this colour with a palette knife. Then softened the one edge with a brush and water. It developed from there. 

Art Journal Entry: 20 June 2019

Next, I thought I could try a landscape, and chose a desert scene that I'm busy sketching from. But kept the limited palette. Having used cold colours, the resulting scene, was, of course, cold! Even looks like snow, much by chance! (I'm not accustomed to seeing snowy landscapes;  I've only seen snow once near Queenstown, years ago.) 

"Is it Snow?" Acrylic on Board. 300x155mm.


Then I redid the landscape, this time adding Cad Orange and Naples Yellow to the palette, for the dunes and grasses:

"Memories of a Beautiful Desert" Acrylic on Board. 305x155mm

I grow up in Namibia and love the contrasts, colours and textures of the landscapes of Namibia. I'm quite pleased with how this one came out. 

My assessment of today's exercises:  I loved the combination of the different neutrals in the Art Journal entry. And I really enjoy the textures which result from using a palette knife.



I post my Abstract explorations on Instagram
I often auction some of my work on Facebook
Some of my previous (and larger) artwork can be seen on my website.






No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Pin It button on image hover