Thursday, June 27, 2019

LIFESCAPES

The landscapes of Namibia, to me, feel like the backdrop to my life. I grew up there. Whenever I get out in nature, I still search for the wide, open spaces, where you can travel vast distance without seeing signs of development, except, of course, the road you are travelling on. It truly feels like one can breathe there.

So, I've started painting small landscapes of the beautiful country I remember...

Thorn trees: my favorite trees.

Study no 2: Watercolour on Fabriano 300gsm.
180 x 110mm


Study no 3.
Tree in open landscape. 
Watercolour, pen and ink on Fabriano 300gsm.
190 x 145mm

The next three studies I did from a photograph I took out of the car window while traveling in Namibia in 2011, the last time I was there. This is a very typical landscape between Gobabis and, Windhoek: vast thornveld with mountains in the distance. 

Study no 4: Weavers' nests. 
Watercolour, pen and ink on Fabriano 300gsm.
190 x 145mm 

I was reading the other day that an artist who teaches watercolour courses, lets her students do several repititions/versions of each scene. (And, sorry, I can't remember who it was!!! :- ( Will edit it is when I remember...  ) 
I decided to give it a try, and can already see the value of the exercise. 
One actually learns something every time! And they don't look the same! Each one becomes an individual artwork. Each time some new possibilities present themselves! 

Study no 5
Weavers' Nests. 
Watercolour, pen and ink on Fabriano 300gsm.
220 x 145mm

The next one I did in acrylic. I quite enjoyed how the colours came out.

Study no 6. Weavers' Nests. 
Acrylic, gouache, pen and ink on Fabriano 300gsm.
220 x 145mm

Study no 7 will be a small oil painting. Watch this space!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Pin It button on image hover